It is a great time of year to get out into the fresh air and to make the most of the nice weather. Need more encouragement? We’ve put together eight reasons why a daily dose of sunshine is good for you.
- We get 90-95% of our vitamin D from the sun. This vitamin helps us to absorb calcium, keeping our teeth and bones healthy and helps protect us against serious diseases later on in life, including osteoporosis, Type II diabetes, some cancers and multiple sclerosis.
- Sunshine boosts serotonin levels, which is why we tend to feel more energetic and happier when the sun is out.
- A daily dose of sunshine helps to reduce the risk of heart disease. A study found cholesterol levels rise in winter as vitamin D levels fall.
- The warm sunshine helps to relieve muscle stiffness and pain caused by inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is caused by a lack of sunlight during the winter months and while you can buy special lightboxes, natural sunlight works best. You only need fifteen minutes daily exposure to the sunlight in the summer and an hour’s walk during the winter months will help keep SAD at bay.
- Sunlight boosts fertility levels by reducing melatonin levels, a hormone that suppresses fertility. The sun also helps to boost testosterone levels in men.
- Crohn’s, IBS and other inflammatory bowel diseases can be relived with sunlight as people with these conditions tend to have low levels of vitamin D.
Reduce skin problems as exposure to sunlight can help heal psoriasis, eczema and acne.